It should be an enjoyable experience when you ride your bike. But severe accidents can occur when careless drivers are also on the road. We understand the pain and frustration you feel when you’re injured, have to pay medical bills, and lose out on riding time.
That’s why you should know that we’re here to help. Our Los Angeles personal injury lawyers can help you recover damages for medical expenses and other accident-related costs. We’re passionate about helping you in any way we can.
Negligent Parties You Could Hold Accountable for Your Injuries
When you sustain injuries in a bike collision, our team of bicycle accident lawyers are ready to determine the liable parties that caused your injuries. Common at-fault parties in bike crashes include:
The most frequent at-fault party in bicycle accidents is another driver on the road. Due to their small size, many drivers don’t respect a cyclist’s space which can lead to severe accidents.
People who drive cars frequently cut cyclists off or ride into their lane shortly after they’ve passed. To avoid cyclist accidents, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) advises motorists to:
- Yield to bicyclists and be aware of their speed when turning on the road or sidewalk.
- Check their surroundings for bicycles when in parking lots or at stop signs.
- Look right and behind before turning right on red to avoid hitting a bicyclist.
- Obey the speed limit and drive defensively to avoid a cycling accident.
- Give cyclists enough space and only pass when it’s safe to move into an adjacent lane.
If another driver performed one or more of these actions and you were injured, you could hold them accountable.
Bicycle accident victims could also hold the manufacturer responsible if their bike has a defect. Manufacturers should test their products to ensure they don’t impose a risk on consumers.
Common bike defects include:
- Faulty tires
- Worn brakes
- Loose or rusted chains
- Damaged or bent handlebars
- Broken or malfunctioning pedals
- Loose or missing bolts or screws
- Malfunctioning gears or derailleur
- Flat or damaged inner tubes
- Cracked or damaged frame
- Worn or damaged bearings in wheels, pedals, or headset
- Inadequate reflectors or lack of reflectors
Any of these defects can cause an accident for bicyclists or cyclists. If you were injured due to a manufacturer defect, our bicycle accident lawyers could hold the bike manufacturer accountable.
City or Private Road Owner
As a cyclist, you have the right to a safe riding experience.
If the road you were riding on lacked safety features such as guardrails, significant potholes, or a faded bike lane marking, you could sue the city or county government for faulty road maintenance.
You could also use a private road owner in Los Angeles if the road wasn’t properly maintained or lacked traffic lights, markings, or signs.
How Could a Cyclist Be At-Fault in a Bicycle Crash?
Even if a motor vehicle operator injured you, there is a possibility you could still be at fault due to California’s comparative negligence rule. The comparative negligence rules state that you can still recover compensation even if you’re 99% responsible for the accident.
For example, say you were cited for violating applicable bicycle laws, such as not riding with a helmet, not having reflective markings on your clothing, or riding against traffic; the driver’s insurance company will likely blame you for the crash. This may result in your settlement being reduced by your percentage of fault.
We will work tirelessly to help you recover the compensation you need to move forward with your life
How Much Time Do You Have To File a Bicycle Accident Claim in Los Angeles?
After you’re injured, you’ll have a short time to file a personal injury claim, and it’s best to file as early as possible to have the highest chance of receiving the maximum compensation. California’s statute of limitations for personal injury is two years.
However, the state has a delayed discovery rule that states if you don’t know about an injury immediately and develop symptoms later, you have one year to file your claim from the date you discovered your injury. If you wait too long to file, you could lose out on the ability to recover compensation.
We will treat you with the respect and compassion you deserve.
What Damages Can a Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Lawyer Help You Recover?
When you experience losses after a bike crash in Los Angeles, it can be difficult to carry on with life. You may be stressed out about affording upcoming hospital bills and other costs you have to pay. Our bicycle accident attorneys can help you recover economic and non-economic damages such as:
- Medical bills
- Loss of future earnings
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Property damage
- Loss of companionship
- Punitive damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life
You may be eligible for additional personal injury damages if you’ve suffered significant bicycle accident injuries such as internal organ damage, spinal cord injury, or a traumatic brain injury. Our Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyer can review your case and tell you what damages you qualify for.
Are Bicycle Laws in Los Angeles County and Orange County Different Depending on What City I Am In?
Yes. Bicycle laws can differ depending on your specific city, within Los Angeles County or Orange County.
While the California Vehicle Code establishes general rules and regulations for all vehicles, including bicycles, individual cities and counties have ordinances and regulations that apply specifically to bicyclists.
These local laws can address helmet requirements, bicycle parking, and specific rules for riding on sidewalks or bike lanes.
It is important to note that while some bicycle laws may vary between cities, all California bicyclists are required to follow the state’s basic traffic laws. These include stopping at stop signs and red lights, riding with traffic flow, and using hand signals to indicate turns and stops.
The California lane-splitting law, which permits motorcycles to travel between lanes of stopped or slow-moving traffic, does not apply to bicyclists. In addition, the law is specific to motorcycles and mopeds and does not apply to other types of vehicles.
It is always a good idea to check the specific laws and regulations for the city you will be riding in to ensure that you comply and ride safely. You can usually find this information on the city’s website or by contacting the local police department.
Our experienced personal injury attorneys can help you understand these rules and regulations when you meet with us.
You are not just a case number – you are our top priority.
How Our Law Firm Can Help After a Los Angeles Bike Accident
If you have been involved in an L.A. bicycle accident, our experienced bicycle accident attorneys can help you navigate the legal process and protect your rights.
Here are some specific ways a law firm can help after a Los Angeles bike accident:
- Investigation: Our lawyers will investigate your accident to interview witnesses, determine liability, and assess damages you may have incurred.
- Gather evidence: As part of our investigation, we will also help gather evidence to support your claim. This can include obtaining police reports, medical records, and other documentation to support your case. We will detail your severe injuries, take witness testimonies, and capture photos and videos of the accident scene.
- Legal advice: Our personal injury lawyers provide legal advice and guidance throughout the process, including explaining your rights and options, negotiating with insurance companies, and representing you in court if necessary.
- Settlement negotiations: Your bike accident lawyer will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries, lost wages, and other damages.
- Trial representation: If your case goes to trial, an experienced attorney from our firm will represent you in court and present a strong case to the judge or jury.
- Emotional support: Our bicycle accident attorneys provide emotional support and compassion during what can be a difficult and stressful time. They will answer your questions, address your concerns, and keep you informed throughout the process.
Our legal team is experienced in representing bicycle riders and fighting for a fair settlement. We will help you understand your legal options and work to secure financial compensation.
We have recovered millions of dollars for our clients, some of them partially at fault for their accidents. Therefore, if you think you were partially at fault for your injuries, you can still file a claim for damages.
Contact Us To See if You Qualify for Compensation After a Bike Accident
At Venerable Injury Law, our bicycle accident lawyers are passionate about winning sufficient settlements for our clients.
Being injured as a bicyclist or biker can affect your whole life, and we are ready to help you turn your life around. We’ll advocate for you so you can get back to doing what you love without worrying about paying for your injuries.
Call us or fill out the contact form on our website to schedule an in-depth case evaluation to discuss your personal injury accident for free.
We believe that our experience, dedication, and personalized approach set us apart from the rest.