If you got injured by an irresponsible driver in Monterey Park, you deserve full compensation for your damages. A Monterey Park personal injury lawyer can help recover damages when drivers, municipalities, or other entities fail to accept proper responsibility after a bike crash. If you suffered harm in a cycling collision, contact an attorney.
Common Reasons Bicycle Accidents Occur
While bicyclists certainly share responsibility for riding safely and obeying traffic laws, drivers often negligently contribute to tragic collisions by failing to responsibly share the road with vulnerable cyclists.
When operating multi-ton vehicles, motorists have a heightened duty of care to prevent endangering or injuring more exposed roadway users. However, certain reckless driving behaviors frequently lead to devastating bike crashes, such as the following:
- Excessive speeding or aggressive accelerating/tailgating around bicycles significantly reduces a driver’s reaction time and increases the impact forces if a collision occurs, exponentially heightening harm. High speeds in areas with known bike presence demonstrate an unacceptable disregard for bicyclist safety.
- Distracted driving behaviors like texting, talking on cell phones, programming navigation systems, or otherwise diverting eyes from the task of driving impairs a motorist’s ability to notice bicyclists ahead and avoid colliding with them. This driver’s inattention is grossly inexcusable given the severe hazards posed to innocent road users.
Drivers have a legal and ethical responsibility to maintain constant vigilance. They need to have awareness of potential bicycle traffic to prevent irresponsible and catastrophic collisions. Failing to operate vehicles cautiously and share the road safely with bikes often constitutes negligence.
We will work tirelessly to help you recover the compensation you need to move forward with your life
Common Bicycling Injuries
Because of the lack of any protection like airbags and metal frames found in cars, cyclist injuries sustained in vehicle collisions can be extremely severe or life-altering. Without thousands of pounds of surrounding vehicles to absorb impact forces, devastating trauma occurs directly to bicyclists. Some of the most common serious bicycling injuries sustained in crashes include:
- Traumatic brain injuries and concussions result from a bicyclist’s unprotected head forcefully impacting the pavement, vehicle components, or other hard objects like curbs. These frequently cause lasting cognitive dysfunction or disability.
- Spinal cord damage potentially results in varying degrees of paralysis if the body is forcefully contorted, compressed, or bent during the collision impact. Recovery from spinal cord injuries is challenging.
- Broken bones, complex fractures, and crushing injuries to extremities including the arms, legs, hands, pelvis, collarbones, and other bones from the extreme force applied during an uncontrolled vehicle impact. These often require extensive surgery and therapy.
Many of the most common bicycling crash injuries result in permanent, life-changing impairment for victims. As such, a Monterey Park bicycle accident attorney can help obtain fair financial compensation for all resulting medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering is absolutely essential so the harms caused by negligent motorists are not unjustly borne by innocent bicyclists.
We will treat you with the respect and compassion you deserve.
Steps to Take After a Bicycle Accident
Seek urgent medical care, even if you feel minimal pain initially. Some injuries like concussions or internal bleeding take time to manifest. Calling 911 and getting evaluated creates a record of diligent treatment.
Call the police and file an official report. Provide purely factual details but avoid speculating on fault without an investigation. Take photos of vehicle damage. Try to include photos of license plates, injuries, and the overall accident scene from multiple angles to preserve evidence.
Speak with a bicycle accident attorney in Monterey Park before providing any recorded statement to insurance adjusters. Move quickly to build your case while the evidence is fresh. A lawyer corresponding with insurers also protects you from intimidation or being rushed into a quick unfair settlement.
Statute of Limitations to File Claim
In California, injury victims have two years from the date of a bicycle accident to file a lawsuit against at-fault drivers and other negligent parties under the statute of limitations for personal injury cases. Failing to initiate legal action within this window permanently forfeits the claim under California law, even if injuries were catastrophic. Contact a bicycle accident lawyer in Monterey Park promptly after a crash is essential to avoid jeopardizing the case.
An attorney immediately needs evidence like photos, video footage, and witness statements while events are still fresh. They also put liable parties on notice of pending legal action. Do not delay pursuing rightful recovery or jeopardize your claim over running out of time.
Preparing a strong legal case takes significant time and effort. California’s firm deadline drives urgency for bicyclists. Work with a bicycle accident attorney right away to avoid hurdles that may destroy your chances for justice and compensation.
You are not just a case number – you are our top priority.
Potential Damages You Can Claim
If bicycle accident injuries are proven to be directly caused by the negligent actions of an irresponsible driver or other liable party, the bicyclist can potentially claim legal compensation. You should always seek compensation for what you are entitled to. Some of the ways you can are the following:
- Medical expenses related to emergency response, hospitalization, surgeries, procedures, medications, devices, rehabilitation therapies, and other medical treatments required now or in the future due to crash-caused impairments.
- Lost income stemming from missing work during initial recovery, as well as reduced future earning capacity if disabilities limit abilities over the long term.
- Property losses like the cost of repairing or replacing a destroyed bicycle, helmet, accessories, gear, and clothing damaged in the collision.
- Non-economic damages cover the physical pain and emotional suffering stemming from both the injuries themselves and resulting lifestyle limitations, disfigurement, reduced mobility, loss of enjoyment of life, and other subjective but equally real losses.
In certain extreme cases where a driver’s willful negligence showed a reckless disregard for bicycle safety, additional punitive damages may be pursued to punish and deter such gross misconduct. A Monterey Park bicycle accident lawyer understands how to prove and maximize all valid categories of fair damages under the law. You should never agree to an inadequate settlement that fails to fully cover both the economic and human impacts of preventable crashes.
Heal While We Prove Your Bicycle Accident Case
The last thing you want to do after a bicycle accident is go through the complex legal steps. Our team at Venerable Injury Law can help you so you can focus on recovering. Contact us for a free consultation.
We believe that our experience, dedication, and personalized approach set us apart from the rest.